Saturday 11 February 2012

Ribbon Sculpture

Since my last post about the sculpture (where I described  ideas) its practical development has come on a long way.  I am now working with a local Cobalt Blacksmith on the metal construction. This process began by working out the diameter of the sculpture in relation to the height in order to work out the angle of curve upwards. The main steel structure is manufactured by a tube bending company using a bending machine that is normally used for making spiral staircases.







The tubular steels then arrives at the blacksmiths in 5 sections that he will weld together at the planned curve. We need the curve to reach 1.5m at 180 degrees so that it does not hit the curved wall as it ascends to 2m. It should reach 3m at 360 degrees and 4m at around the 360 + 120 degrees - to be precise! Saying all that it will probably sag slightly under its own weight once all the lengths and leaves are attached. I am expecting it to move a bit like a spring - although hopefully not too much!

I return to my plans for the garden to work out the size and spread possible for the 'foot' that will hold the ribbon sculpture in place, taking into account the wall and path footings and the tree root balls.

This sculpture is my representation of energy and vitality and is to be sited at the centre of the garden next to a tree stump. The idea is that a large tree has fallen and giving light and opportunity for saplings and other plants to spring to life.






The colours of the sculpture move from purple, through deep pinks and red to orange and yellow as it winds it's way around a young tree and upwards. These colours are joyful, life affirming and positive, reinforcing the energetic forms of the wall and path, and atmosphere I am hoping to create.





These sections are made out of perspex (from my templates) which has been donated by Perspex UK and cut by Zone Creations. I have chosen to use their frosted range as its opaque qualities will capture the light. When looking at their web sites I am amazed by the vast range of applications for Perspex.





No comments:

Post a Comment